Thứ Bảy, 24 tháng 1, 2015

GERUND OR INFINITIVE?

GERUND OR INFINITIVE?

We can use the gerund for different purposes and functions.

Subject: Smoking is dangerous
Object: I like reading
After prepositions: He’s good at drawing. What about cooking dinner? After leaving school he looked for a job.
After verbs: I hate getting up early. Imagine living in New York!

We can use the infinitive (with or without to) on other circumstances.

After modal verbs: usually infinitive: can, should, must, may or could,
*but ought to, have to, need to, be able to: He must study. I have lo leave now.
After adjectives: I’m glad to see you
After verbs: I managed to arrive in time. He decided to study Economics.

You can find lists of verbs, adjectives, linkers and/or prepositions in textbooks. These sentences are just for you to practise. Let’s go!


Fill in the gaps with the correct form of the verb in brackets:

1. Mary doesn’t mind _______________ (do) housework, but she hates _________________ (cook).
2. I don’t know how ___________________ (use) my new mobile phone.
3. ______________ (park) here is forbidden. Look at the sign!
4. Dr Lewis advised Peter ______________(reduce) of fatty food.
5. Please, stop _________________ (make) so much noise.
6. Don’t forget _________________ (buy) some bread when _______________ (come) back home.




7. Why don’t we stay at home instead of ______________ (go) out tonight?
8. I do my best, but I find it hard ________________( get) up early.
9. Mary insisted on ___________________ (help) with the housework.
10. Excuse me for __________________ (interrupt) you.
11. It was really nice _________________ (meet) Peter at the restaurant.
12. You’d better __________________ (tidy) your room or mum will get angry.
13. The rain prevented us from _________________ (play) outside.
14. He spent a lot of time _________________ (choose) what ____________ (wear) at the fancy dress party.
15. It’s no good __________________ (waste) your time ______________ (watch) TV.
16. We’re looking forward to ____________________ (travel) to New York next summer.
17. There’s no point in _____________ (take) a taxi, the cinema is just a five-minute-walk from the pub.
18. Definitely the curtains need _________________ (clean).
19. I remember Tom _________________ (walk) to school when he lived next door.
20. Carol offered _______________ (post) the letter for me.
21. The criminals denied _________________ (rob) the bank.
22. I’m so thirsty! I need _______________ (drink) something immediately.
23. Sally asked her brother _______________ (open) the window.
24. My husband tends _______________ (forget) things these days.
25. Andy pretended ________________ (be) tired, but we made him __________________ (clear) the table.
26. I’m really fed up with _______________ (work) in a factory.
27. The lecturer had nothing interesting _________________ (say).
28. He couldn’t _______________ (solve) the problem without ________________ (use) a calculator.
29. He passed his oral exam despite ____________ (be) nervous.
30. He accused me of ______________ (break) the vase.







KEY                GERUND OR INFINITIVE?

Fill in the gaps with the correct form of the verb in brackets:


1. Mary doesn’t mind doing (do) housework, but she hates cooking (cook).
2. I don’t know how to use (use) my new mobile phone.
3. Parking (park) here is forbidden. Look at the sign!
4. Dr Lewis advised Peter to reduce (reduce) of fatty food.
5. Please, stop making (make) that disgusting noise.
6. Don’t forget to buy (buy) some bread when coming (come) back home.
7. Why don’t we stay at home instead of going (go) out tonight?
8. I do my best, but I find it hard to get (get) up early.
9. Mary insisted on helping (help) with the housework.
10. Excuse me for interrupting (interrupt) you.
11. It was really nice to meet (meet) Peter at the restaurant.
12. You’d better tidy (tidy) your room or mum will get angry.
13. The rain prevented us from playing (play) outside.
14. He spent a lot of time choosing (choose) what to wear (wear) at the fancy dress party.
15. It’s no good wasting (waste) your time watching (watch) TV.
16. We’re looking forward to travelling (travel) to New York next summer.
17. There’s no point in taking (take) a taxi, the cinema is just a five-minute-walk from the pub.
18. Definitely the curtains need cleaning (clean).
19. I remember Tom walking (walk) to school when he lived next door.
20. Carol offered to post (post) the letter for me.
21. The criminals denied robbing (rob) the bank.
22. I’m so thirsty! I need to drink (drink) something immediately.
23. Sally asked her brother to open (open) the window.
24. My husband tends to forget (forget) things these days.

25. Andy pretended to be (be) tired, but we made him clear (clear) the table.
26. I’m really fed up with working (work) in a factory.
27. The lecturer had nothing interesting to say (say).
28. He couldn’t solve (solve) the problem without using (use) a calculator.
29. He passed his oral exam despite being (be) nervous.
30. He accused me of breaking (break) the vase.




Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét